Lectures & workshops
For the past 15 years, and as part of a commitment to support design education and literacy for both the design community and society at large, Tarek Atrissi has been a frequent guest speaker and lecturer in several international design conferences, events, and universities across the world. He gave public lectures about design in more than 20 countries: This included the SED conference in Las Vegas; The Icograda conference in Istanbul in Turkey; Reading University in the UK; The Tasmeem conference in Qatar; The V&A museum in London; The Amman Design institute in Jordan; The Type Directors Club in New York; The WREGA design conference in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia; among many other venues.
Tarek Atrissi gives regularly short workshops and courses, often typographically driven. He has also conducted in-house design training sessions and workshops upon demand for specific companies and organisations.
To schedule a lecture or a workshop, please contact Tarek Atrissi directly at email@example.com
A full list of lectures, workshops and design events by Tarek Atrissi is listed below on this page. Various photos of such events are shown on this page.
Lectures, workshops and events by Tarek Atrissi included:
– Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Algiers, Lecture & Workshop at the Bibliothèque Nationale d’Algérie in Algeria on Arabic lettering. April 2016.
– The Design Alliance Asia Talk, Bangkok, Thailand. Lecture. October 2015.
– Zayed University, Dubai & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture and Workshop series. September 2015.
– Design Institute Amman, Workshop: Branding – “From Brief to Visual Identity Design”, Amman, Jordan. June 2015.
– Zain Telecom, Internal/ Corporate Workshop: Understanding branding, Amman, Jordan. June 2015.
– Saudi Design Week, Guest speaker, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. May 2015.
– Introduction to Arabic Type Design, workshop, privately organized, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. May 2015.
– Dubai International Arabic Calligraphy Exhibition 2015, Lecture: Typographic Landscape in the Arab World Today, Dubai, UAE. April 2015.
– Dubai International Arabic Calligraphy Exhibition 2015, Arabic Typography Workshop: Lettering + Bilingual logo design adaptation. Dubai, UAE. April 2015.
– Studio BAR event: 1001 Glyphs, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: An evening on the theme of Digitizing Arabic Typography. December 2014.
– Nuqat Design Conference, Kuwait. Design workshop: Celebrating the beauty of Arabic language through creative design and expression. Workshop conducted with Suzanne Talhouk. November 2014.
– Design Institute Amman, Jordan. Design workshop: Arabic Typography in the context of Branding. June 2014.
– “LoudArt” Event, Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Public lecture as part of the “Huna art” series, and 2 days Arabic lettering workshop, organised by Nuqat. May 2014
– Design for Social Change workshop, Kuwait. 3 Days workshop for representatives from various NGOs. January 2014
– Nuqat Design conference, Kuwait City, Kuwait. November 2013. Arabic Urban Typography Workshop.
– Iranian Graphic Design Society, Tehran, Iran. October 2013. Public Lecture and Lettering design workshop.
– “Identity” design symposium, Dar Al Hekma College, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. February 2013.
– Hong Kong Design institute, workshop “Colors & Art Direction. October 2012.
– Nuqat Design conference, Kuwait City, Kuwait. October 2012. Lecture and workshop
– BIFEX- Beirut International Franchising Forum and Exhibition, Beirut, Lebanon, Lecture 23-24 May 2012.
– Next Future Observatory, The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lissabon, Portugal. Lecture, 12 May 2012.
– Re-use conference 5.0, Kuwait City, Kuwait. Public Lecture and Workshop. 19-22 April 2012
– HSDA Annual Design Symposium at Dar Al-Hekma College, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. 7-11 April 2012.
– Academie Beeldende Kunsten Maastricht, The Netherlands. Public Lecture and Workshop. 3 April 2012.
– Nuqat Conference, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Guest Speaker and Workshop. 17-21 March 2012.
– TDC: Type Directors Club, New York, USA. Guest Speaker, 15 March 2012.
– Type@Cooper Postgraduate Typeface Design Program, Cooper Union, New York. Lecture: 13 July 2011
– USEK University (Universite Saint-Esprit de Kaslik), Lebanon. May 4-6 2011. Lecture and Workshop
– Dar Al-Hekma School of Design and Architecture Design Symposium, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. April 17-20 2011. Lecture and Workshop.
– Zayed University, Dubai & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. March 5-10, 2011. Lecture and Workshop series
– Al Bayyan Newspaper, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Design and information graphics Seminar & Workshop. 23-24 November 2010.
– Day of typography, Basel, Switzerland. October 30 2010. Lecture.
– Nuqat Design conference, Kuwait City, Kuwait. October 24-28, 2010. Lecture and Workshop.
– Münchner Typotag, Munich, Germany. October 14, 15, 16, 2010. Lecture.
– School of Visual Arts Masters Workshop- Venice, Italy. Guest critic. June 4-6 2010.
– World Islamic Economic Forum, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Lecture. 18 May 2010.
– Abu Dhabi Higher Colleges of Technology, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture and workshop: 7-14 April 2010.
– School of Visual Arts, New York, USA. MFA Design department. Lecture: 1 March 2010.
– WREGA Design Power Asia conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Lecture and workshop: 8-9 August 2009.
– The Design Alliance Asia Talk, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Lecture: 10 August 2009.
– Graphic Design week, Dar El Hekma College, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Guest speaker and workshop leader. May 16, 17, 18, 2009.
– Nuqat ‘ala Alhuroof conference, Kuwait city, Kuwait. Lecture & Workshop leader. May 13, 14, 2009.
– Abu Dhabi Higher Colleges of Technology, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture and workshop: 25 April- 1 May 2009.
– Utrecht School of the Arts, Faculty of Art Media and technology, The Netherlands. Guest Speaker. February 3, 2009.
– Lebanese University, Fine Art / Graphic Design Department. Beirut, Lebanon. Guest Speaker. January 29, 2009.
– Stichting de Levante, An Evening of Arabic Typography. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Guest Speaker. October 26, 2008
– School of Visual Arts – MFA Design program – New York, USA. Guest Speaker. October 17, 2008.
– Parsons- The New School for Design- New York, USA. Guest Speaker. October 16, 2008.
– Willem de Koning Academie, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Guest Speaker. October 13, 2008.
– SND Congress Vegas- Society of News Designers. Guest Speaker. Las Vegas, Nevada. September 7-9, 2008
– Dubai Higher Colleges of Technology, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Lecture & workshop: 25-26 May 2008.
– Abu Dhabi Higher Colleges of Technology, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture & workshop: 27 May- 2 June 2008.
– The Designer’s Freedom of Speech. Debate & Workshop. Bibliotheek Universiteit van Amsterdam, Bijzondere Collecties. The Netherlands- 23 may, 2008.
– San Francisco Art Institute; Design and Technology Salon. Live Broadcast Guest Speaker. San Francisco, USA. April 10 2008.
– One Day Typography. University of Southern Switzerland. Switzerland – 17 November 2007.
– “Dutch Design?” Cosmo Design!”. Guest speaker at TENT. Rotterdam Center for Visual Arts. 20 September 2007.
– Khat Kufi & Kaffiya – The Khat Foundation Symposium on Arabic Visual Culture. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 24 August 2007
– Utrecht School of the Arts, ” Ondernemen voor Designers”. Utrecht, The Netherlands, 23 August 2007.
– Design Power Conference, FGD Expo 2007. Jakarta, Indonesia. 8-12 August 2007.
– Zayed University, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture: 21 May 2007.
– Higher Colleges of Technology, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Lecture & workshop: 20 May 2007.
– Utrecht School of the Arts, Faculty of Art Media & Technology.-The Netherlands. Lecture: 12 April 2007.
– 3 Points Advertising- Saudi Arabia. Lecture / Workshop. 10th of January 2007
– Abu Dhabi Music & Arts Foundation; UAE. Public Lecture. 12-13 December 2006
– Design + Strategy conference, Hanoi, Vietnam. Guest Speaker. 4-8 October 2006.
– Icograda Design Week, Seattle, USA, 9-15 July 2006. Workshop Leader
– Images of the Middle East, Copenhagen, Denmark, 30 May 2006. Guest Speaker
– University of Petra, College of Architecture and Art, Jordan, 7-9 May 2006. Guest Speaker
– Kitabat Conference, American University in Dubai, 5-8 April 2006. Guest Speaker.
– American University of Sharjah, UAE. Public lecture, 14 March 2006.
– School of Visual Arts, MFA Design. New York. 23 February 2006. Guest Speaker
– MoMA- Museum of Modern Art New York. Graphic Design symposium, February 2006
– American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 20 June 2005. Speaker
– Utrecht School of the Arts, The Netherlands. Guest Speaker, 2005.
– Visiting Professor, American University in Dubai, UAE. 2005
– Notre Dame University, Zouk Mosbeh, Lebanon, 2005. Workshop & public lecture.
– Ecole Superieure de l’art et de l’image. Brussels, Belgium. Guest Speaker 2005.
– Typo.Graphic.Beirut.05 conference. Beirut, Lebanon. Guest Speaker, 2005
– Magdalena Festival, Maribor, Slovenia. Guest Speaker + Jury member in the Magdalena awards, 2004.
– Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar. One semester course in Arabic typography. 2004.
– Icograda Building bridges Seminar- Istanbul- Turkey. January 2004. [Guest speaker + student workshop]
– Tasmeem Design Conference, Doha, Qatar. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– American University of Sharjah, UAE. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– Danish Cultural Center, Copenhagen, Denmark. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– Danish School of Design, Copenhagen, Denmark. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– TDC opening show, Munich, Germany. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– School of Visual Arts, New York. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– American University of Beirut, Lebanon. 2004, Guest Speaker.
– Art Academy in Maastricht, The Netherlands, Guest Speaker, 2004.
– Forum Typografie, Hannover, Germany. Guest Speaker, 2004.
– Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar. One week workshop with emphasis on Arabic Typography. 2003
– UNESCO Regional Expert Meeting for Digital Creation: Guest participant in the Digital Arts UNESCO project, 2003.
– Valedictorian, Graduation ceremony, School of Visual Arts, Lincoln Centre, New York.
– School of Visual Arts, New York. Teaching assistant for Paula Scher’s course, Visual language. 2003.
– Lebanese American University in Beirut. Guest speaker, 2002.
– C&E American University, Beirut Lebanon. Guest speaker 2002.
– Utrecht School of the Arts- The Netherlands. Faculty of Art Media and Technology. Experimental graphic Design course: 12 smashed bikes. 2001
– Graphis2000- International Design Seminar- Istanbul; Mimar Sinan University. Assistant to the workshop and lectures given by Professor Leila Musfi. 1999
– American Language Centre. Beirut-Lebanon. Teacher. Teaching courses of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. 1999